180929_ajw_UGAvsUT_2ndhalf_0003.jpg

University of Georgia defensive back Deandre Baker (18) celebrates after stopping a pass attempt by the University of Tennessee at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018. The Georgia Bulldogs defeated the Tennessee Volunteers for their fifth win of the 2018 season by a score of 38-12. (Photo/Tony Walsh)

Bulldog cornerback Deandre Baker has been named a semifinalist for two top college football defensive awards, Georgia announced Thursday. 

Baker is included on the 20-person semifinalist list for the Chuck Bednarik Award, which is given annually to the top defensive player in college football. Former Georgia linebacker David Pollack won the award in 2004. 

The preseason first team All-American is also included on the 13-player shortlist for the Jim Thorpe Award, which honors the best defensive back in college football. No player from Georgia has ever won the award. 

The semifinalist list for each award will be narrowed to three finalists on Nov. 19. The winners of both the Bednarik and Thorpe awards will be announced on Dec. 6.

In his senior season, Baker is first on the team in interceptions with two and leads the SEC in pass breakups with 10.