Georgia vs. Clemson

Clemson player D.J. Howard pushes his way down the field while being followed by Georgia player Jordan Jenkins (59) during the Georgia vs. Clemson season opener on Saturday, August 30, 2014, at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Ga. At the half, the score was tied 21-21. (Photo by Erin O. Smith, eosmit8@uga.edu)

The Clemson-Georgia football rivalry will see a resurgence in 2024, as the two programs have agreed to play in Atlanta to open the season, Peach Bowl, Inc. announced Friday. 

The game will take place in Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Aug. 31, 2024, as part of the annual Chick-fil-A Kickoff series, which hosts non-conference matchups in Atlanta at the start of the season. It will be the first time the teams have played since 2014. 

“Many of the players on both teams know each other and the proximity of the two schools makes it especially competitive,” said Georgia head coach Kirby Smart. “This is another great opportunity for our team and our fans to play an outstanding team in an extraordinary city and venue. We are appreciative of the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game staff for their hard work in putting the game together.”

Clemson and Georgia frequently played each other throughout the 20th century but have only played four times since 1995. Both teams enter the 2018 season ranked in the top 5, with Clemson at No. 2 and Georgia at No. 3 in the preseason Associated Press Top 25 poll. 

Peach Bowl Inc. recently announced Georgia would be participating in another Chick-fil-A Kickoff game, a matchup with Oregon in 2022. Georgia has made two previous appearances in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff game, going 1-1 in those two contests.