180803_JEB_FirstPractice_0004.jpg

Kirby Smart speaks at the UGA Football Preseason Media Day on August 3, 2018. (Photo/Jason Born)

After the first day of the early signing period on Wednesday, Georgia maintains the No. 2-ranked recruiting class for 2019. The Bulldogs signed 20 prospects Wednesday and picked up the commitments of several other high profile recruits. 

Here are the biggest takeaways from Wednesday. 

Georgia finds a quarterback amidst possible transfer

181117_CRM_UGAvUMASS_0134.jpg

Justin Fields, a freshman quarterback, prepares to pass the ball during the University of Georgia vs. University of Massachusetts football game on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018, at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia. The Georgia Bulldogs defeated the Massachusetts Minutemen 66-27. (Photo/Christina R. Matacotta, crmatacotta@gmail.com)

On Monday, a report from USA Today came out saying freshman quarterback Justin Fields intends to transfer. While the school hasn’t confirmed those reports, Georgia certainly seemed determined to find a quarterback in the Class of 2019.

Dwan Mathis, a four-star quarterback from Belleville, Michigan, flipped his commitment from Ohio State and signed with Georgia. Mathis is the No. 9 pro-style quarterback prospect in the Class of 2019.

Georgia still has a commitment from four-star quarterback John Rhys Plumlee, the No. 7 dual-threat prospect out of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, but the signing of Mathis should quell any concerns head coach Kirby Smart might have about the quarterback room.

Bulldogs play the five-star game

Georgia was in the running for two five-star prospects that were to sign on Wednesday, one being running back Trey Sanders out of IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. The other, linebacker Nakobe Dean out of Horn Lake High School in Horn Lake, Mississippi.

The Bulldogs failed to sign Sanders, who signed with Alabama, but got Dean to sign. Dean, the No. 1-ranked inside linebacker prospect in the country, is set to enroll early, and he will likely provide depth at a position that will lose seniors Natrez Patrick and Juwan Taylor to graduation.

No surprises

Outside of the Mathis and Dean, Georgia really didn’t have any surprises when it came to the early signing period. All of its recruits who were previously committed that were to sign on Wednesday did so, which was good enough for the Bulldogs to finish the day with the No. 2 recruiting class in the Class of 2019.

Of the signees who were previously committed, it included five-star defensive end Nolan Smith, five-star wide receiver Dominick Blaylock, five-star defensive tackle Travon Walker and four-star safety Lewis Cine, among a lot of others.

Georgia already has four signees practicing with the team, including five-star lineman Clay Webb and JUCO signees in four-star Jermaine Johnson, four-star defensive back D.J. Daniel and three-star defensive tackle Tramel Walthour.

All that is to say Georgia had a relatively quiet day of signings. The Bulldogs signed 20 players overall, but if past signing periods are any indication, it’d be hard to assume the Bulldogs are done.