181027_ajw_ga_fla_first_half0017.jpg

Georgia defensive back Richard LeCounte (2) and Georgia defensive back J.R. Reed (20) celebrate after picking up a fumble at TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, Florida, on Saturday, Oct. 27, 2018. The University of Georgia football team played against the University of Florida for their eighth game of the season. (Photo/Tony Walsh)

Georgia is ranked No. 6 in the first College Football Playoff poll of the season, according to the committee’s announcement on Tuesday.

The Bulldogs are 7-1 (5-1 SEC) with wins over two teams that were ranked in the Associated Press Top 25 when Georgia played them. Georgia will face another one-loss team this weekend when it takes on No. 9 Kentucky for the SEC East crown. A win against the Wildcats would put the Bulldogs one step closer to making the College Football Playoff for the second consecutive season.

Fellow SEC programs Alabama and LSU entered the rankings at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots respectively. Clemson took the No. 2 spot and Notre Dame debuted at No. 4 to round out the top four. 

In each of the previous four College Football Playoffs, the SEC champion has been ranked in the top four during the final poll of the season. Of those four, that SEC champion has advanced to the championship game three times, including Georgia's run to the title game last season.

Georgia was ranked No. 1 in the first College Football Playoff rankings of the 2017 season, and it maintained that position until the Bulldogs lost to Auburn at Jordan-Hare Stadium and fell to No. 7. Georgia eventually entered the playoff ranked No. 3 after beating Auburn in the SEC championship game.

The top four teams in the final rankings qualify for the College Football Playoff, where the No. 1 and No. 4 teams play each other while the No. 2 and No. 3 teams face off.

The winners advance to the national championship game, which will be played on Jan. 7, 2019, in Santa Clara, California.