171118_kentucky_0009.jpg

Georgia offensive lineman Ben Cleveland (74) waits between plays during a college football game between Kentucky and Georgia in Athens, Georgia, on Saturday, November 18, 2017. (Photo/Kristin M. Bradshaw)

Georgia football held its first open practice of the week Monday. Here are some observations from The Red & Black.

Offense

The first-team offensive line looked the same, with sophomore left tackle Andrew Thomas and redshirt sophomore left guard Solomon Kindley practicing fully after being banged up against Florida.

Georgia head coach Kirby Smart said at his press conference on Monday that the offensive line is “pretty clean across the board” when it comes to injuries.

Speaking of offensive line injuries, redshirt sophomore Ben Cleveland was seen taking some reps at right guard with the second team during the media viewing period. Cleveland fractured his left fibula Sept. 29 against Missouri.

The tight ends spent part of the media viewing period working on pass blocking against defensive ends and outside linebackers. Their skills in this area will be tested against Kentucky’s Josh Allen, who has 10 sacks and 14.5 tackles for loss this season.

Defense

Defensive linemen David Marshall and Daquan Hawkins-Muckle were not seen during the open period on Monday. Marshall has been out with a foot injury since Georgia’s win over Vanderbilt on Oct. 6 and Hawkins-Muckle has also been out for several weeks.

It appears Kirby Smart is getting creative with trying to build some defensive line depth, as redshirt freshman offensive lineman Netori Johnson was working with the defensive line during the open period. Johnson’s size at 6-foot-4, 320 pounds would be a welcome addition to a Bulldogs’ defensive front with few bodies of that elite size.

Sophomore cornerback Ameer Speed was also not seen at practice during the open period, and freshman cornerback Divaad Wilson appeared to be wearing the No. 9 jersey that Speed typically sports. The reason for Speed’s absence and Wilson’s jersey is unknown. The other cornerbacks were working on a ball-tracking drill during the open period.

The outside linebackers were working on an edge setting drill with outside linebackers coach Dan Lanning, who was yelling, “Edges for the East,” during the drill. The Bulldogs’ game against Kentucky on Saturday serves as a de facto SEC East title game.