171111_reh_auburnfirsthalf_0006.jpg

Georgia defensive end Jonathan Ledbetter (13) goes to tackle Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham (8) during the game against Auburn University, at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama, on Saturday, November 1, 2017. (Photo/Reann Huber, www.reannhuber.com)

Georgia football held its second open practice of the week on Wednesday, with the media able to view approximately nine minutes of practice. Here are some observations from The Red & Black.

Offense

Senior wide receiver Terry Godwin was seen practicing for the second day in a row on Tuesday, as head coach Kirby Smart has continued to express hope that he will play against South Carolina on Saturday. The receivers worked on catching short passes and running with the ball, and alongside Godwin were Riley Ridley, Kearis Jackson, Mecole Hardman and Tyler Simmons.

Smart worked with the offensive line and members of the defense as the groups matched up in paired blocking drills against each other. The coach worked with both sides of the ball, and Ben Cleveland and Isaiah Wilson were seen working together during the drill.

As the tight ends worked on blocking drills against one another and the running backs worked on handoffs, the receivers continued to work on short routes. They would run up to contact about five yards in front of them before turning to the inside and catching a quick pass.

There were no players unexpectedly missing from either the quarterback or running back groups on Wednesday. Jake Fromm, Justin Fields and Matthew Downing were each seen working on footwork drills while D’Andre Swift, Elijah Holyfield and James Cook were each seen taking handoffs and running upfield.

Defense

Junior defensive back Tyrique McGhee was not participating in drills with the other defensive backs during the open period of practice on Wednesday, but he was seen off to the side on an exercise bike.

McGhee fractured his foot during a scrimmage on Aug. 11 and missed the season opener against Austin Peay last Saturday. Georgia head coach Kirby Smart said Tuesday he was hoping that McGhee would be able to play but he was unsure at the time.

Senior defensive lineman Jonathan Ledbetter was wearing a brace of some sort on his right ankle but was participating in drills with the rest of the defensive line during Wednesday’s open period. He looked to be favoring the ankle a bit but was still participating in drills. It was reported by UGASports.com on Wednesday that Ledbetter had suffered a sprained ankle in practice on Tuesday.

As for other Bulldogs working through injuries, freshman cornerback Divaad Wilson, who suffered a torn ACL early in spring practice, was seen working with the scout team.

The inside linebackers worked off to the side during the open period on multiple drills. In the first drill, they worked in pairs with seniors Juwan Taylor and Natrez Patrick paired up as the first-team duo in the first drill. It was followed by the pairing of Tae Crowder and Monty Rice. Rice and Taylor started at inside linebacker on Saturday, but Smart has said that they play to take a committee approach to the position. It was unclear if there was a set order in the following drills.