180804_ajw_uga_fan_day_sanford_0002.jpg

University of Georgia linebacker Robert Beal Jr. (33) speaks with a coach during an open practice for Fan Day at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia on Saturday, August 4, 2018.

Georgia football opened practice to the media for 10 minutes on Tuesday. Here are some observations from The Red & Black:

Offense

In a passing drill at the end of Tuesday's media availability, Jake Fromm threw passes to Jeremiah Holloman. Tyler Simmons lined up on the opposite side of the field, catching passes from backup quarterback Stetson Bennett. One receiver ran a 10-yard curl route while the other worked on a 15-yard drag route. Simmons slipped and fell on the ground in the drill’s first round.

In that same drill, Demetris Robertson and Trey Blount acted as the second team. Tommy Bush and Matt Landers were the third group.

The offensive line kept to itself throughout the availability, refining blocking technique. Ben Cleveland and Cade Mays rotated at right guard, a position that could be competitive for the Bulldogs.

Walter Grant, listed as a linebacker, worked at running back for the fourth straight practice. At the beginning of Tuesday’s availability, the running backs took handoffs from the quarterbacks before eventually separating and working on various positional drills.

The tight ends also worked with the quarterbacks, with John Fitzpatrick and others catching passes from Fromm.

Defense

Aaron Murray and Jonathan Ledbetter along with a host of former players were present at practice Tuesday.

Eric Stokes worked with the first team defense in a pursuit drill. The coaches had the defensive backs line up in position, and one of the assistant coaches pretended to throw a ball in a certain area then the entire team swarmed on the tackle dummy. DJ Daniel started for the second team in that drill.

Kirby Smart worked closely with the defensive backs and safeties during the media availability.

The defensive backs also worked on punching the ball out of the hands of an offensive player. During the drill, Smart yelled, “Ameer, you have to be more violent when you do it.”

Robert Beal was seen practicing. On Saturday, Beal was seen present but not practicing in the wake of his arrest for possession of marijuana on April 2. Brenton Cox, who was arrested with Beal, was not seen at practice. 

Beal was paired up with freshman Nolan Smith working on pass rushing drills. The outside linebackers were once again led by Azeez Ojulari and Adam Anderson.