190503_GMA_BaseballvFlorida0023.jpg

Georgia infielder Aaron Schunk (22), out with an injury, cheers on his teammates during a game against Florida at Foley Field on Friday, May 3, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. The Bulldogs defeated the Gators in the first game of the series with a score of 6-4. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/msyite-1)

Two and a half weeks removed from a disappointing exit against Florida State University, several Georgia Baseball players have begun the next chapters of their careers.

Aaron Schunk, a 6-2, 205-pound native of Atlanta, Georgia, signed a professional contract last week with the Colorado Rockies. The Rockies selected him in the second round of Major League Baseball’s draft. Schunk became the first Bulldog in nine years to earn the “Triple Crown,” leading the team in batting (.339), home runs (15) and RBI (58). Schunk also posted 12 saves and a 2.49 ERA in 17 appearances. Currently, Schunk is playing for the Short Season Class A Boise (Idaho) Hawks in the Northwest League. This past Sunday, he made his professional debut and went 1-for-4.

Along with Schunk, former Bulldog second baseman LJ Talley and pitcher Tim Elliott have started their professional careers. Talley went 1-for-3 last Saturday for the Lansing (Michigan) Lugnuts, the Class A affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays. Elliott started and pitched two scoreless innings with two strikeouts for the Everett (Washington) AquaSox, the Short-Season Class A affiliate of the Seattle Mariners.

Meanwhile, former Bulldog pitchers Tony Locey, selected by the St. Louis Cardinals in the third round, and Zac Kristofak, selected by the Los Angeles Angels in the 14th round, have signed professional contracts but yet to make their debut. Outfielder Tucker Maxwell, selected by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 22nd round, also has signed a professional contract but has not made a debut. Locey is working out in West Palm Beach, Florida, and Kristofak is getting ready in Orem, Utah with the Orem Owlz. Maxwell is preparing for his professional debut in Clearwater, Florida, at a Phillies camp.

Former Bulldog catcher/designated hitter John Cable signed a free agent contract with the Lake Erie Crushers of the Frontier League. The Independent League team is based in Avon, Ohio. In his only season with the Bulldogs, graduate transfer Cable batted .314 with eight home runs and 47 RBI. He appeared in 57 games and had 47 starts. Cable notched 30 of his 47 RBI in SEC play while batting .287 with five home runs.

The 2019 Bulldogs finished the season with a 46-17 record after reaching the NCAA Athens Regional final. The 46 wins ranked fourth most in school history and the 21 SEC wins was a school record. For the first time in school history, Georgia earned a National Seed two straight years and played host to an NCAA Regional in back-to-back seasons.