Georgia basketball vs. George Washington

Georgia's Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (1) prepares for his foul shots during the Bulldogs' game against the Colonials on Friday, January 5, 2012 in Stegeman Coliseum. Shanda Crowe (theshandacrowe@gmail.com)

On a chaotic Friday night in the NBA, former University of Georgia basketball player Kentavious Caldwell-Pope agreed to re-sign with the Los Angeles Lakers, according to ESPN’s Ramona Shelburne.

Caldwell-Pope’s signing came as a result of the shocking news that Lakers free agent target Kawhi Leonard would be signing with Los Angeles Clippers. The Lakers quickly made moves by signing Danny Green and Caldwell-Pope to compensate for the loss of Leonard.

Caldwell-Pope’s deal is reportedly worth $16 million over two years, a downgrade from the $12 million the former SEC Player of the Year earned in the 2018-2019 season.

After averaging 11.4 points per game last season on nearly 35% from behind the three-point line, the Thomaston, Georgia, native will now re-join a star-studded Lakers roster with the likes of LeBron James and Anthony Davis. Caldwell-Pope is expected to be used as an offensive spark off the bench in the upcoming season.