Richt_press

Vince Dooley speaks to members of the press after a press conference following Mark Richt's dismissal, on Monday, Nov. 30, 2015, in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Taylor Carpenter)

Former Georgia athletic director and football coach Vince Dooley was named the recipient of the Wooden Citizenship Cup, according to the sponsoring organization Athletes for a Better World.

The accolade is awarded to the collegiate athlete and professional or Olympian who has made the greatest positive influence on others.

Dooley led the Bulldogs on the football field from 1964 to 1988. Over that time, he won 201 games, six Southeastern Conference championships and the 1980 national championship. The 83-year-old remains the winningest head coach in program history.

His role at Georgia was not limited to football. He took over as athletic director in 1979 and served in that capacity through his retirement from coaching. His hires as athletic director included Andy Landers for women's basketball, Manny Diaz for men's tennis and Mark Richt for football. He left his position with the university in 2004.

Dooley has received many honors for his work over the years. He took home the NCAA National Coach of the Year twice, was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 1994 and was named a Georgia Trustee by the Georgia Historical Society in 2011. 

Dooley will be honored at the 2016 award ceremony on April 27 along with five nominees for the collegiate Wooden Cup Award. The ceremony will take place at the Cobb Energy Centre in Atlanta. Boston Globe sportswriter Bob Ryan will serve as the Master of Ceremonies.