190224_GMA_BaseballvUMassLowell0026.jpg

Georgia pitcher Cole Wilcox (13) throws a pitch during a game against UMass Lowell at Foley Field on Sunday, Feb. 24, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. The Bulldogs beat the River Hawks 13 to 5, with half of Georgia’s points being scored in the first inning.

According to a June 10 mock draft from mlb.com, Georgia sophomore right-hander Cole Wilcox was projected to be among the top 22 players picked in the 2020 MLB draft.

Ultimately, the 20-year-old from Chickamauga, Georgia, was selected No. 80 overall by the San Diego Padres. He followed junior teammate and fellow right-handed starter Emerson Hancock, who was picked sixth overall by the Seattle Mariners.

After an All-American senior season at Heritage High School, Wilcox decided to follow through as a Georgia commit despite being drafted in the 37th round of the 2018 MLB draft by the Washington Nationals.

Following 19 appearances as a freshman, Wilcox posted a 4.07 ERA, tallying 64 strikeouts in 59 2/3 innings of work.

Wilcox stepped up as sophomore starter, striking out 32 in 23 innings. His 1.57 ERA earned him the No. 3 spot in the school record books and the program’s best in 54 years.

As the draft dragged on and right-hander after right-hander was picked ahead of Wilcox, his name remained as the top prospect left on the board.

"In terms of [Wilcox's] stuff," mlb.com writer Jim Callis said following the selection. "You should not be getting this kind of stuff in the third round."

The 6-foot-5 sophomore will have to decide whether he'll accept the $767,800 attached to the Padres' third round pick, or return to Athens for his junior season.