BB&T Atlanta Open

John Isner waits to return a serve during the semifinal round of the BB&T Atlanta Open in Atlanta on Saturday, July 26, 2014. (Photo/Taylor Craig Sutton, Taylorcraigsutton.com)

After a relatively easy first round victory over Casper Ruud on Tuesday, John Isner fell in a three hour and five minute match to Kazakhstan’s Mikhail Kukushkin, 4-6, 7-6(3), 6-4, 1-6, 4-6.

Isner, the No. 9 seed at The Championships, appeared in his first action since injuring his left foot in the final of the 2019 Miami Open in late March.

The former University of Georgia tennis player made a run to the semifinals in 2018 at Wimbledon, but struggled with his movement and totaled 50 unforced errors against Kukushkin on Thursday.

“It's very disappointing to lose,” said Isner after the match. “I think my lack of preparation certainly showed today. I knew something like that was very possible. Unfortunately, that was the case today. The most important thing is my foot's fine. My fitness [is] definitely not there. There's no doubt. I was just able to put weight on my foot about 10 days before the tournament, so this is the first time I was able to put all my weight on my foot. It had been a long time on the shelf.”

Isner’s Wimbledon run came to a close on Thursday, but he will have plenty of time to get prepared for the next Grand Slam tournament, the U.S. Open, which takes place in late August.