pruitt.jpg

Tennessee head coach Jeremy Pruitt speaks during a football game at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018. The Georgia Bulldogs played beat the Tennessee Volunteers 38-12 for their fifth win of the 2018 season. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

When Isaac Nauta declared for the NFL draft and Luke Ford transferred to Illinois, Georgia suddenly had a void at the tight end position. Georgia head coach Kirby Smart and his coaching staff didn’t ignore the problem.

Former Tennessee tight end Eli Wolf announced his transfer to Georgia on Thursday to help fill that void. He is immediately eligible.

The graduate transfer from Minster, Ohio, played sparingly while in uniform for the Volunteers. Wolf caught five of six passes that were targeted for him last season. He has 86 career receiving yards, including 30 yards in 2018 and 48 in 2017.

Prior to the signing of Wolf, Georgia only had two healthy tight ends on scholarship. Charlie Woerner and redshirt freshman John Fitzpatrick returned to the team higher up on the depth chart. The health of early enrollee Ryland Goede has been called into question after he went down with a knee injury during his senior season in high school.

Wolf’s tight ends coach will be Todd Hartley, who replaced Jim Chaney after Georgia’s former offensive coordinator and tight ends coach left for Tennessee.

Wolf is the younger brother of former Tennessee tight end Ethan Wolf.