Shannon Vreeland- UGA vs Texas Swim Meet.jpg

Shannon Vreeland swims the 500 yard freestyle during a swim meet between the Georgia Bulldogs and the Texas Longhorns at Gabrielsen Natatorium in Athens, Ga., Saturday, January 12, 2012 where she took first place. Shanda Crowe (theshandacrowe@gmail.com)

Four University of Georgia student-athletes became members of the Blue Key Honor Society on Sunday.

All members of the society are juniors and seniors who possess great ability and character. Only individuals who accomplish substantial feats in scholarship, service and leadership obtain Blue Key recognition.

Football long snapper Ty Frix, two members of the swimming and diving team Maddie Locus and Shannon Vreeland and track and field member Lucie Ondraschkova were officially initiated.

Frix is a business administration graduate student who finished out his Georgia football playing career in Georgia’s 45-31 win over Nebraska in the Capital One Bowl held on Jan. 3. Frix did not play in 2008 as he was a redshirt, but was the long snapper for the Bulldogs from 2009 to 2012 and was elected as the captain of the special teams having appeared in all 14 games in 2012.

Frix is a native of Calhoun who excelled in the classroom, helping him receive SEC Academic Honor Roll in all four years he spent at UGA. The Blue Key Honor Society is not the only achievement based society Frix is a member of, as he was also inducted into UGA’s Student-Athlete Leadership Academy or L.E.A.D. (Leadership Education and Development) in 2012. In 2011 Frix was named a Peach of an athlete honoree and became a member of the COSIDA Capital One All-America Second Team in 2012. He graduated in May 2012 with a degree in biological engineering.

Switching to indoor sports, Locus just finished up her sophomore year for Georgia’s swimming and diving squad became a member of the L.E.A.D. program in 2012 and was placed onto the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC).

Locus maintained a 4.0 GPA in her freshman season in the fall semester and as a result the UGA Athletic Association chose her as a Presidential Scholar. She is on the Athletic Director’s Honor Roll and has made straight A’s throughout her time at Georgia.

Ondraschkova is a native of Opava, Czech Republic who is a senior track and field competitor who became a part of the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCA), in addition to becoming the South Region Women’s Field Athlete of the Year following the 2013 indoor season. She also obtained a First Team All-America Certificate. The senior posted career bests in the 800-meter run (2:15.58), 60-meter hurdles (8.78), the high jump (5 feet, 8.75 inches) and the shot put (37-10.5) in the 2013 NCAA Indoor Championships.

Ondraschkova added a second-place finish in the SEC Championship, scoring 4,208 points, an individual best, which was her fourth personal best achievement during the meet.

Adding to the long list of successful names and accomplishment is Vreeland who won an Olympic Gold Medal in the London Olympics in the United States 800 freestyle relay. She then went back to school and helped the Georgia swimming and diving team win its first national title since 2005, and fifth overall.

Vreeland did not just receive the highest achievement in the Olympics and in college athletics however, as her success extended to the classroom. She was chosen to the L.E.A.D program by the UGA Athletic Association and the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.

The existence of the Blue Key Honor Society began in October 1924 at the University of Florida. The University of Georgia was the second chapter to be founded overall, as it gained its charter in 1926.

Despite the chapter being nearly 87 years old, UGA has upheld its tradition of holding a Blue Key Alumni Banquet. The Banquet brings together government and business representatives and leaders from around the state of Georgia to attend a dinner hosted by the current student Blue Key initiates and members.

The annual Blue Key Award is presented from the active student members of the chapter to people who have made substantial contributions to UGA, the state and to America. More than 100 awards have been given since the chapter’s founding date.