190214_jca_tennis_39.jpg

Alex Phillips, a redshirt junior from Peachtree City, Georgia, returns during a match against Presbyterian College players on Feb. 14, 2019 at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Georgia. The Bulldogs defeated the Blue Hose 7-0. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

Britton Johnston, Alex Phillips, Erik Grevelius and Mateo Reyes were the four Georgia tennis players who qualified for this weekend’s Four in the Fall Tournament in Tuscaloosa.

Johnston, a sophomore, along with Phillips, a redshirt senior, defeated Jochen Bertsch and Matt Rodriquez from Oklahoma, 8-3 in a doubles match. Johnston went a combined 2-1 singles and doubles to kick off day one.

Grevelius, a freshman, split the first two sets with Ole Miss’ No. 1 singles player and No. 48-ranked Tim Sandkaulen but came up short.

Johnston and Phillips both advanced to the second round of singles on the second day. Johnston suffered a 3-6, 4-6 loss in the first match, but he recovered from that in a victory over Tuscaloosa’s own Avi Shugar. Phillips also won a singles match against Matt Rodriquez.

Grevelius came back to prove himself on the second day by winning his first collegiate match over Tulane’s Dane Esses 6-2, 6-4.

Reyes and Grevelius competed together for the first time in their careers. The freshman duo lost two tight matches on day one. They lost 8-7 (5) to Mississippi State’s team of Issac Becroft and Gregor Ramskolger. They also fell short, 8-6, to the Oklahoma team of Mark Mandlik and Max Stewart.

Reyes was up 6-2, 6-3, in his first match of day two, but suffered an injury. He was out for the rest of the tournament.

To end the tournament, Johnston and Phillips teamed together to win a consolation doubles match against Jan Hain and Simon Junk of Ole Miss, 8-7 (5). Grevelius ended his weekend with a loss against Tennessee’s Martim Parta.