01262019_crj_menbasketball_uga_texas_0164.jpg

University of Georgia Tom Crean, head coach, on the sidelines during a basketball game against University of Texas at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Georgia on Saturday, Jan. 26, 2019. The Bulldogs defeated the Longhorns 98-88. (Photo/Caitlin Jett)

UPDATE: Georgia head coach Tom Crean announced on Wednesday that Sahvir Wheeler has signed with the program. 

“We’re very excited about Sahvir,” Crean said. “His speed, change of direction and floor vision are really unique. He can score the ball in a variety of ways, from getting to the rim all the way out to shooting 3s, and he can put a tremendous amount of pressure on the ball defensively. He is a dynamic floor general who possesses the skills to make his teammates better with his exceptional passing ability.”

Point guard Sahvir Wheeler committed to the Georgia men’s basketball team on Monday, choosing the Bulldogs over Iowa State.

Wheeler, a 5-foot-8, 175-pound four-star prospect, originally signed with Texas A&M, but he obtained a release from the program after the Aggies fired head coach Billy Kennedy.

A native of Houston, Texas, Wheeler is the No. 6 point guard and No. 94 overall player in the class of 2019, according to the 247Sports Composite. He led Houston Christian to the Southwest Preparatory Conference state championship in his junior and senior years.

The Bulldogs were able to offer Wheeler a scholarship after three Georgia players transferred from the program this offseason. JoJo Toppin transferred to Georgia State, Teshaun Hightower went to Tulane and Ignas Sargiunas is taking his talents to Colorado State.

Last season, when Georgia won just two SEC games, head coach Tom Crean mentioned several times how his team needed a point guard. Crean has now found two candidates for playing time at point guard. Wheeler joins Donnell Gresham Jr., a graduate transfer out of Northeastern, in Crean’s list of pickups since May 1.

Crean's 2019 recruiting class also includes shooting guard Anthony Edwards, the No. 2 overall prospect in the nation, according to the 247Sports Composite.