Women's basketball beats Tennessee

The Lady Bulldogs celebrate their win against Tennessee at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Ga., on Sunday, February 5, 2017. (Photo by Cory A. Cole)

When Georgia women’s basketball played Auburn in early February, the Bulldogs pulled out the win in a close match-up 57-51.

The two teams met up again on Thursday afternoon in the second round of the Southeastern Conference tournament in Greenville, South Carolina, with an outcome similar to that of the first, with the Bulldogs advancing to the next round after a 56-52 victory over the Tigers.

The second quarter was rough offensively for the Bulldogs as the team committed 16 turnovers; Auburn ended up scoring 17 total points off of those turnovers. The Tigers took a 29-22 advantage into halftime.

However, the second quarter woes for the Bulldogs were silenced in the third quarter as Georgia came out and cut the Tigers’ lead to within two points at 34-32 with a little over three minutes remaining, before heading into the final quarter tied at 38-all.

Back-and-forth throughout the fourth quarter, Georgia gained separation with a run of made free throws to reach a final score of 56-52 in the contest.

Leading the way offensively for the Bulldogs was, again, redshirt senior Pachis Roberts, who recorded 15 points. Caliya Robinson and Mackenzie Engram also added 12 points apiece for Georgia. 

Following the game, Georgia head coach Joni Taylor respected her team for stepping up after a poor start in the turnover category.

“Just credit our team for coming back and fighting,” Taylor said. “We rebounded from 16 turnovers in the first half to have only two in the second half. Auburn is a really good team and I am so proud of our team’s effort to go out and get the win.”

Georgia’s win over Auburn is Taylor’s first career win in the SEC tournament as a head coach.