New Secondary Logo

In an effort to sculpt the Bulldogs' athletic brand, athletic director Greg McGarity announced Tuesday that Georgia was one of four schools that will be switching up its uniforms this fall to implement a more consistent look within Georgia athletics.

McGarity also announced that Georgia would be adding a secondary logo — a cartoon-like Bulldog — to compliment the traditional ‘G’.

Nike would not announce the other three schools, but Georgia is honored to be on of them.

“For about the last 15 months we’ve been involved with Nike in an effort to better define and align our athletic branding which includes things such as marks, logos, typography fonts used on uniforms, facility signage, apparel and like,” McGarity said. “Nike has selected only four schools this year to work with and we are very indebted for their help in this process.”

While evaluating Georgia’s teams, McGarity and Nike noticed that every team had a different combination of jerseys, including things such as number and letter font.

To fix this, Georgia and Nike have created a combination of numbers and letters, which Nike senior graphic designer Clinton Shaner described as “Bulldog Bold.”

“We created the custom lettering to create with the words “Georgia”, “Bulldogs” and the number set unique to Georgia,” Shaner said.

The only changes on the jersey will include larger numbers, but the colors and the logo will stay the same.

Nike tried to sway McGarity to change up the uniforms completely, but the athletic director refused to ignore the historic tradition that the Georgia uniforms hold — something Nike fully understood.

“We always like to push the envelope creatively,” Shaner said. “I think what was important in this process was to create something that was true to Georgia.”

While McGarity explained that the “power G” logo would never change as long as he was calling the shots, the Bulldogs will be adding the secondary logo, which is being referred to as the Mack Truck Bulldog.

This logo features the head of a Bulldog sporting a spiked collar around its neck with the Georgia emblem in the center.

“We have also updated a secondary logo that will be distanced to Georgia and will complement the history rich power “G”,” McGarity said. “We will continue to embrace all of our other historical secondary marks and will make them available to our license base through various licensing programs. We’re not taking anything away, we’re simply adding to what we have in our tool chest.”

This logo, along with the new numbers and font, will be on display for the first time at Georgia’s G-Day game on April 6.

Other than the new font and numbers, the logo will not be on the field for games during the fall, and Georgia will be sticking with the iconic “G” on the 50-yard line.

“The numbers will be this new font, letters in the end zone,” McGarity said. “You will also see this new mark on the field, only for the spring game. It’s not going to be at mid-field. The other games will have the “G”, but in other areas of the stadium we’re going to promote it a little bit more. I’m not sure when the last time we added a secondary mark to our arsenal of logos.”

Not only will Georgia be switching up its lettering, but will be changing up the material for the football jerseys to a pro-combat style, such as the jerseys worn in the 2011 Boise State game — something that the players are excited to return to.

“It’s a lot more flexible, breathable, lighter,” Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray said. “ I love the material. That’s something we asked coach Richt, we were like we know we’re not going to keep these uniforms but if we could get this material in our colors that would be pretty awesome.”

darn old

Glad to see the Red & Black continuing its tradition of reporting the news read on other sports sites 24 hours earlier...