190202_rmw_mbb_scar_00147 copy.jpg

Georgia assistant coach Amir Abdur-Rahim talks from the sidelines during a game against South Carolina at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Georgia, on Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019. The Georgia Bulldogs lost to South Carolina 86-80. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

Amir Abdur-Rahim joined the Georgia staff as an assistant coach in May 2018 and has a new job less than a year later.

On Thursday, Abdur-Rahim was announced as the new head coach at Kennesaw State.

Abdur-Rahim will return to his home area, as he grew up in Marietta, Georgia, attending Wheeler High School, only 7 miles from Kennesaw. He played an integral role in helping head coach Tom Crean assemble the nation's seventh-ranked recruiting class, according to the 247Sports Composite. 

Crean spoke about Abdur-Rahim in a press conference originally scheduled in response to Georgia's top-10 2019 recruiting class. 

"It’s rare that in a year’s time that you get affected and impacted on such a personal level and a professional level … by having Amir Abdur-Rahim inside the program," Crean said. 

Crean said there is never a good time to lose an assistant coach of Abdur-Rahim's caliber. But that's not to say Crean and fellow assistants Chad Dollar and Joe Scott aren't proud. 

“We are so proud of him and so happy for him,” Crean said. “It’s a loss for us, but it's a gain for him.”