190405_Mg_UGAvsVandy-8282.jpg

John Cable (42) hits the ball on April 5, 2019 during a game against Vanderbilt at Foley Field in Athens, Georgia. Georgia lost 3-2 in the eleventh inning. (Photo/Maya Giro)

The Georgia baseball team exploded offensively and blew past Auburn 11-2 in Friday night’s series opener at Plainsman Park.

Four different Bulldogs picked up multi-hit games and John Cable and Connor Tate combined for seven RBIs and Georgia chased Auburn starter Jack Owen in the fourth inning.

“That might have been our best game of the year overall,” head coach Scott Stricklin said.

Georgia put up six runs in that fourth inning, the first on a Cable RBI from a bases-loaded walk.

“John had a key at bat and that changed the momentum once we got those six runs in that inning,” Stricklin said. “We had a lot of people contribute up and down the lineup.”

Tate followed Cable with a two-run double and a Patrick Sullivan drove in two with a single. Randon Jernigan capped off the inning with his first career home run to left field.

Aaron Schunk added his own solo home run in the fifth and Cable and Tate drove in two more runs each in the seventh as Georgia put together the complete offensive game it has been searching for the last few weeks.

Tony Locey took the mound and threw one of his most dominant outings since the beginning of conference play. It took him 105 pitches to make it through seven innings, striking out ten. Locey’s biggest struggle this season has been walks, but he limited the Tigers to a single free pass and allowed only two runs.

“Tony Locey was outstanding on the mound,” Stricklin said. “[He] really settled in and threw a ton of strikes.”

Locey made the Friday start in the place of ace Emerson Hancock, who is still making his way back from injury. He is expected to return to the mound Saturday against Auburn.

Darryn Pasqua and Adam Goodman followed Locey and worked two scoreless innings to close out the game. Goodman struck out the side in the ninth on only 13 pitches.

Top Performers

Aaron Schunk - Schunk now has four hits in two games since returning from an Achilles issue that cost him seven games. He went 3-for-5, hit his eighth home run and scored three runs.

Patrick Sullivan - Sullivan picked up three hits and drove in two runs. He now has five hits in his last two games.

Tony Locey - Georgia has lost only once this season when Locey has started a game, on April 27 against Mississippi State. In the two starts since, Locey has walked only two batters while striking out 16 and allowing only four runs in 13 innings pitched.