190503_GMA_BaseballvFlorida0021.jpg

Georgia infielder Cam Shepherd (7) drops his bat after hitting the ball during a game against Florida at Foley Field on Friday, May 3, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. The Bulldogs defeated the Gators in the first game of the series with a score of 6-4. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/msyite-1)

University of Georgia shortstop Cam Shepherd finished out his record-setting defensive junior season with the Rawlings Gold Glove Award, given to the top shortstop in NCAA Division 1 by the American Baseball Coaches Association/Rawlings.

The 6-1, 187-pound native of Duluth, Georgia, set a school record for shortstops with an overall fielding percentage of .987. He tallied 235 total chances during the year with 83 putouts, 149 assists and just three errors. He was also named to the SEC All-Defensive Team by the league coaches.

Shepherd joins former Bulldogs Jonathan Wyatt and Rich Poythress as the only Georgia baseball players to be honored as a national Gold Glove recipient by the ABCA and Rawlings Sporting Goods.

Shepherd was also selected by the Tampa Bay Rays in the 20th round of the 2019 MLB Draft earlier this month. Prior to be chosen however, Shepherd announced via Twitter that he would be returning to finish his college career with Georgia.

In his first three years, Shepherd has played and started all 180 games at shortstop. Despite his elite defensive record, he also hit .231 with 13 doubles, eight home runs and 33 RBI in 63 games.

This past season, Shepherd played an integral part as the Bulldogs earned the national No. 4 seed, advanced to the NCAA Athens Regional Final and finished with a 46-17 record.