190302_ks_EquestrianvsSC_0017.jpg

Georgia junior Ali Tritschler soars over a fence aboard Snookie. University of Georgia equestrian hosted and defeated South Carolina by a final score of 13-7 in Bishop, Georgia on March 2, 2019. (Photo/Kathryn Skeean)

The No. 6-seeded Georgia equestrian team advanced to the semifinals at the National Collegiate Equestrian Association National Championship, winning 10-6 over No. 3 Baylor at the Extraco Event Center Thursday afternoon in Waco Texas.

“Again, a great morning—a lot of fight in this team and a lot of tough rides and perseverance,” head coach Meghan Boenig said.

In the regular season, Baylor beat Georgia 11-8. The Bulldogs' win today secured a spot in the national semifinals. Georgia tied Baylor 2-2 in Equitation on the Flat with junior Ali Tritschler earning the first point of the day with a score of 225. Junior Maddy Darst earned the second point with a score of 238.

In Horsemanship, the Bulldogs fell 3-1. Scoring their only point, senior Graysen Stroud earned a point with a score of 221 with the Bears earning the next three points. At half, Baylor lead Georgia 5-3.

In Equitation Over Fences, junior Hayley Mairano secured the Bulldogs’ advancement with a score of 250 and a 37-point margin.

In Reining the Bulldogs swept the Bears, 4-0. With a strong ride from sophomore Jordan Carpenter, Carpenter earned a point with a score of 210.5. Freshman Courtney Blumer earned her first national championship point with a score of 207 defeating her opponent. With her final ride of the day, junior Annabeth Payne sored a 205. Stroud scored a 210.5 to move the Bulldogs onto the next round.

The Bulldogs will face the Aggies later Thursday and the winner will advance to the championship on Saturday.

“We talked this morning about being courageous and I think that is something that they showed well today and something we will have to do against Texas A&M this evening,” Boenig said.