190302_ks_EquestrianvsSC_0023.jpg

Georgia’s Julia Spreng slides to a halt during the reining competition. University of Georgia equestrian hosted and defeated South Carolina by a final score of 13-7 in Bishop, Georgia on March 2, 2019. (Photo/Kathryn Skeean)

Georgia equestrian placed in the sixth-seed for the 2019 National Collegiate Association National Championship which places them two spots higher than the previous week.

The top eight teams in the country will compete for the NCEA national championship which takes place April 17-20 at the Extraco Events Center in Waco, Texas. Several factors determine which teams are invited to the NCEA national championship, which is selected by the NCEA Selection Committee.

Four event titles are competed for by the team-seeded bracket in an NCEA format. The Bulldogs, who are 5-7 overall and 4-4 in the SEC, will take on No. 3 seed Baylor on Wednesday, April 17.

Georgia placed third in Reining, fifth in Equitation on the Flat, seventh in Equitation Over Fences and eighth in Horsemanship. The Bulldogs have the most NECA overall championships with six, which came in 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2014.

Last season the Bulldogs earned a national champion in Equitation on the Flat and finished as reserve national champions.

The following categories will be crowned NCEA champions for NCEA Team and Event and Discipline including NCEA National Champion Team, NCEA National Champion with 4 riders in: Equitation over Fences, Equitation on the Flat, Horsemanship and Reining, and NCEA Discipline National Champions in Hunter Seat and Western.