190209_ks_equestrianvsA_M_0020.jpg

UGA equestrian head coach Meghan Boenig grins at her riders as their win is solidified after the final rider finishes. No. 8 UGA hosted No. 2 Texas A&M on Feb. 9th, 2019 at the University of Georgia Equestrian Complex in Bishop, Georgia; after a neck and neck battle between the two teams for most of the meet, the Bulldogs gained the lead and won with a final score of 12-8. (Photo/ Kathryn Skeean)

Georgia equestrian fell to first-ranked Auburn by a 17-3 score in its last regular-season competition Friday afternoon at the Auburn University Equestrian Center.

“I am really proud of the spirit, enthusiasm, and fight these dogs had today,” Georgia head coach Meghan Boenig said. “However, that was not reflected in this win-loss score and that’s unfortunate."

Auburn claimed Horsemanship with an early lead of 4-1 over the Bulldogs. Freshman Sara Lewis notched her third career victory against her opponent 72.5-69 and earned a point for the Bulldogs.

Outscoring the Bulldogs 4-1 in Equitation Over Flat, junior Maddy Darst won the only point for the Bulldogs 76-69. Georgia trailed Auburn 8-2 after the completion of Equitation on the Flat and Horsemanship.

In Equitation Over Fences the Tigers beat Georgia 4-1. Darst contributed her second point of the competition riding to an 81 over opponent Hayley Iannotti’s 78.

Auburn swept Reining, 5-0. Auburn’s Betsy Brown received Most Outstanding Performance honors with an event-high score of 72.5. Brown's performance solidified a 17-3 win for the Tigers.

“We want it so badly for them all. Auburn is a very, very competitive team and we should leave here with our chins held high because we fought in a lot of great places," Boenig said.

The Bulldogs will travel to College Station, Texas for the SEC Championship on March 29-30. The NCEA National Championships will take place April 17-20 in Waco, Texas.