Grace Bridges

Grace Bridges rides Titletown in the UGA Equestrian Red and Black scrimmage on September 24, 2016 in Bishop, Ga. Photo/ Lexi Kim

Georgia equestrian finished third in the SEC championship after beating South Carolina 11-8 in the consolation round at the Hildebrand Equine Complex Saturday in College Station, Texas.

“It was exciting to come back out after being disappointed from yesterday and say we have some business we need to do and that’s what this team did,” Georgia head coach Meghan Boenig said. “These ladies came back out and competed hard, particularly that great bang in horsemanship with a 4-1 victory."

Grace Bridges contribute to the win with a Most Outstanding Performance honors for her ride in Equitation on the Flat. Georgia juniors dominated in Equitation on the Flat with three points to secure the win 3-1.

South Carolina's Louise Brackett took the first point of the meet. With a score of 229, junior Hayley Mairano gave the Bulldogs their first point. Junior Maddy Darst scored the third point of the day with a score of 245 to beat her opponents 232.

The Bulldogs continued to their victory with a 4-1 win in Horsemanship. The Gamecocks took the first point, but Bulldogs freshman Sara Lewis, junior Maddie Fiorante and seniors Graysen Stroud and Maddie Anger took the next four. Each with a score of 217, 214, 215.5 and 208.5 respectively.

Halfway through the meet the Bulldogs half a 7-2 advantage over the Gamecocks.

To finish out their victory, the Bulldogs won Reining 3-2 with scores from junior Annabeth Payne, freshman Courtney Blumer, and junior Julia Spreng. Each scored a 200, 201 and 206.5.

Georgia added a point in Equitation Over Fences with a point from Mairano with a score of 237.

“They kept fighting through adversity and I’m very proud, Boenig said. “This bodes well for the future for us and a good end to the SEC championship.”

Georgia Equestrian will travel to Waco, Texas, April 14-20 to compete in the National Collegiate Equestrian Association National Championship.