190302_ks_EquestrianvsSC_0024.jpg

Julia Spreng pats her horse after completing her round. University of Georgia equestrian hosted and defeated South Carolina by a final score of 13-7 in Bishop, Georgia on March 2, 2019. (Photo/Kathryn Skeean)

The Georgia equestrian team will travel to Waco, Texas to compete for the 2019 National Collegiate Equestrian Association National Championship Title on April 17-20 at the Extraco Event Center. 

“How exciting to be here in Waco—the place where I think we can really show off our battle tested team,” Georgia head coach Meghan Boenig said.

The Bulldogs, ranked No. 6 in the country, who are 5-7 overall and 4-4 in the Southeastern Conference are looking to claim their seventh national title. They will compete against No. 3 Baylor on Thursday April 18th. In the regular season Georgia fell to Baylor 11-8. 

Georgia was seeded third in Reining for event competition which gave them a first-round bye. The Bulldogs will compete against South Dakota State for event competition in Equitation on the Flat and Equitation Over Fences. The Bulldogs Horsemanship team is No. 8 and will take on No. 9 UT Martin.

With the most NCEA Overall Championship crowns, Georgia holds the record with six in 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2014. Georgia’s win in the semifinals would mark the 12th time in 13 years that Georgia will advance to the final round of national competition.

“We have a lot of opportunity to get into that National Championship and be successful,” Boenig said. “Everybody here is excited! We are being very strategic, and really the word is ready.”