190125_jca_wtennis_21.jpg

University of Georgia women’s tennis head coach Jeff Wallace looks as doubles matches are played at a tournament against the University of South Florida on Jan. 25, 2019 at the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Tennis Courts in Athens, Georgia. The tournament was the first of two in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association kick-off weekend. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

The Georgia women’s tennis team saw its historic season end with a 4-0 loss to Stanford in the NCAA championship on Sunday evening in Orlando, Florida.

Stanford's win is the program's second consecutive NCAA title and its 20th championship win overall. Georgia's loss concludes a 28-2 season, one which Georgia earned an ITA National Team Indoor Championship as well as a perfect regular season.

“There were moments in several of our matches where it seemed like we were surging ahead and having an opportunity, but then we just didn’t quite sustain that,” Georgia head coach Jeff Wallace said. “I’m super proud of our team though. It has been a special year.”

The match started off with Katarina Jokic and Lourdes Carle defeating Kimberly Yee and Caroline Lampl 6-1. Jokic and Carle were also placed onto the All-Tournament Team for the first doubles court.

After that, Marta Gonzalez and Meg Kowalski suffered a loss to Janice Shin and Melissa Lord 6-3. The Stanford duo of Michaela Gordon and Emily Arbuthnott outlasted Elena Christofi and Vivian Wolff 7-5 to give the first point to the Cardinal.

No. 69-ranked Lourdes Carle was defeated by No. 66 Caroline Lampl 6-2, 6-4 on court three for Stanford’s second point of the evening. The loss gave Carle a 23-9 record on the season.

Next, on court two, No. 19 Marta Gonzalez fell short against No. 29 Melissa Lord 6-2, 6-4. This was the third meeting between Gonzalez and Lord, and the first of the three to go in Lord’s favor.

For the final point of the match, Stanford’s Janice Shin defeated Elena Christofi 6-2, 6-4. Christofi finished the season with a 20-7 record.

No. 2-ranked Jokic saw her match go unfinished but was ahead 7-5, 3-2 at the time of the stoppage. Jokic completes a 21-5 season and earned All-Tournament Team honors for court one.

Joining Jokic on the All-Tournament Team for their respective courts was Wolff for court four and Kowalski for court six.