180908_rmw_ugavscar_2half_0010.jpg

Georgia football head coach Kirby Smart talks to a reporter after the football game at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, South Carolina on Sept. 8, 2018. The University of Georgia football team played against the University of South Carolina for their second game of the season. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

National Signing Day 2019 was expected to be fairly quiet for Kirby Smart and the Georgia Bulldogs. They had already signed 22 prospects during the early signing period in December and had limited spots remaining for the 2019 class.

But then, five-star wide receiver George Pickens shocked many by flipping his commitment from Auburn to Georgia to help put a strong finishing touch on Kirby Smart’s third-straight top-three recruiting class. Pickens was joined by tight end Brett Seither in signing with the Bulldogs on Feb. 6, as Georgia finished with the No. 2 overall class, according to the 247Sports Composite.

Pickens was the fifth five-star prospect to sign with Georgia for the 2019 class, according to the 247Sports Composite, and he provided the Bulldogs with a much-needed elite receiver talent. Pickens is the third receiver to sign with the Bulldogs, joining four-star prospects Dominick Blaylock and Makiya Tongue.

Kirby Smart's first four recruiting classes

Year2016201720182019
Class ranking6th3rd1st2nd
Number of 5 stars3375
Top SigneeJacob EasonIsaiah WilsonJustin FieldsNolan Smith

* All rankings are courtesy of the 247Sports Composite

Coming out of Hoover High School in Hoover, Alabama, Pickens was the 24th-ranked overall prospect in the Class of 2019 and the top-ranked player from Alabama. After landing Pickens and five-star offensive lineman Clay Webb (who signed in December and has enrolled early), the Bulldogs have signed the top two prospects from the state of Alabama, according to the 247Sports Composite.

Seither is not as heralded as Pickens, but he fills a need after Georgia lost tight end Isaac Nauta to the NFL Draft. He is a three-star prospect from Clearwater, Florida, and picked the Bulldogs over Alabama. Seither, who is 6-foot-5, is the 34th-ranked tight end prospect, according to the 247Sports Composite, and the No. 738 player overall.

The closing of the 2019 class solidified the fourth recruiting class under Smart, who has posted a recruiting class ranked in the top six nationally by the 247Sports Composite in each of his seasons. He has signed 18 five-star prospects over that span.

Georgia netted two offensive players on Feb. 6 after the Bulldogs had a strong defensive haul during the early period in December. Thirteen of Georgia’s 22 early signees were on the defensive side of the ball, including nine of the 14 early enrollees.

The class is highlighted by No. 1 overall prospect Nolan Smith, an edge rusher out of IMG Academy. Smith, Pickens and Webb are joined by fellow five-stars Travon Walker and Nakobe Dean.

Heading into Feb. 6, Georgia already had put together an outstanding class that was ranked as the second-best class in the nation. But the signing of Pickens showed the college football world, once again, that the Bulldogs will continue to be among the elite on the recruiting trail as long as Smart is at the helm.