Georgia football has filled one of its vacancies on its defensive staff.

Kevin Sherrer, who was the defensive coordinator at South Alabama last season, will join the Bulldogs staff as a defensive assistant. Georgia has three coaching vacancies after losing position coaches Scott Lakatos, Kirk Olivadotti and Chris Wilson in the offseason.

Georgia's new defensive coordinator, Jeremy Pruitt, is familiar with Sherrer as the two were teammates at Alabama, and both coached at Hoover and Alabama together. Pruitt was at Hoover from 2004-2006 and at Alabama from 2007-2012.

“This is a tremendous opportunity to work with Coach Richt and UGA and be back with Jeremy [Pruitt, defensive coordinator] and Will [Friend, offensive line coach] from my playing days at Alabama,” Sherrer said. “Georgia is a great state that I’ve recruited, I know the type of players and the coaches in this area. I’m looking forward to doing my part to make Georgia a championship team.”

Sherrer played tight end at Alabama from 1993-1995, and was later a graduate assistant for the Crimson Tide from 1998-2000. Sherrer, 40, was also an assistant coach at Hoover (Ala.) High School from 2005-2009 before taking a job as the director of player development for Alabama from 2010-2012.

“I’m excited about Kevin joining our staff,” head coach Mark Richt said. “He has worked with Jeremy Pruitt at both Hoover High School and Alabama, and they already have a great relationship that will translate well to the field. Kevin is an exceptional football coach who cares about his players and is going to be a tremendous asset to our program.”

South Alabama finished 6-6 last season, and finished No. 51 in the nation in total defense giving up an average of 384.3 yards per game.