190220_ks_basketballvsMissSt_0020.jpg

Georgia’s Jordan Harris reacts to the foul called on him. The University of Georgia men’s basketball team hosted the Mississippi State team to fall with a final score of 68-67 on Feb. 20, 2019 in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/ Kathryn Skeean)

The same old song wrapped up its final verse on Wednesday night. 

Georgia entered the SEC Tournament as the 13th seed looking to make some noise as it faced off with 12th-seeded Missouri. But in the end, poor offense and untimely turnovers once again resulted in the Bulldogs (11-21, 2-17 SEC) taking a loss, ending the season with a 71-61 loss to Missouri (14-17, 6-13) in Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena.

After a hard-fought first half, the Bulldogs found themselves with a 34-32 halftime lead. But after Missouri took the lead with 18:49 to play, Georgia never led again as the offense shot 38 percent and committed eight turnovers after halftime as the season came to a close.

Here are some observations from the game:

Georgia offense goes out with a whimper

When Georgia and Missouri faced off in Athens last week, it was one of the worst offensive performances in school history. The Bulldogs shot 13-of-51, or 25 percent, as a team.

It wasn’t quite that bad on Wednesday night. But in a season full of offensive struggles, Georgia delivered one more terrible shooting performance to close things out. 

190306_ks_BasketballvsMO_0021.jpg

Georgia sophomore Nicolas Claxton looks to the sidelines for direction from the coaches. The University of Georgia men’s basketball team hosted Missouri on senior night to fall with a final score of 64-39 in Athens, Georgia on March 6, 2019. (Photo/ Kathryn Skeean)

The Bulldogs shot just 37 percent from the field against the Tigers, not making near enough shots to come out on top. The team had shot just under 26 percent in the final two games of the regular season, and those struggles continued in what turned out to be the final game of the year.

Free throw line unkind late

As the offense struggled to score early, free throws initially kept the Bulldogs in the game. They started 10-of-11 at the charity stripe over the first 12 minutes of the game, staying close with Missouri despite a field goal drought of over 7:30. 

But as the game wore on, the percentage plummeted as the Bulldogs saw free throw after free throw clank off the rim. They finished shooting 21-of-36 (58 percent) at the free throw line, leaving several points out there in what was a tight contest.

Bulldogs bullied in the paint

Paint points haven’t been a strength for Georgia all year, as it has only outscored its opponents down low three times in SEC play.

That trend continued in the season’s final contest, as Missouri pounded the Bulldogs in the paint. When the dust had settled, the Tigers walked away with a 34-24 advantage in points in the paint. 

Three who mattered 

Jordan Geist - Geist was far and away the best offensive player on the court on Wednesday night. He led all scorers with a career-high 30 points on 9-of-15 shooting. He added 16 points in the second half to rally his team from a slim halftime deficit. 

Xavier Pinson - Pinson complimented Geist well, finishing with 15 points to give the Tigers a potent one-two punch. The pair finished with 45 points while Georgia’s entire starting five finished with 53. 

Jordan Harris - One of the brightest spots in SEC play has been the emergence of Harris, and he ended his season on a very strong note. He wrapped up the game with a career-high 26 points on 8-of-11 shooting.