UGAmen'sgolf

Georgia's Trevor Phillips during the practice round for the SEC Championship at Sea Island Golf Club on St. Simons Island, Ga., on Thursday, April 20, 2017. (Photo by Steven Colquitt

After finishing atop the leaderboard in the SEC championship on Wednesday, the Georgia men’s golf team stands in third place following two rounds of play at the Sea Island Golf Club on St. Simon’s Island.

The Bulldogs posted a 1-under 279 on Thursday to move to a 9-under 551 on the tournament. Auburn leads the pack with a 19-under 541, followed by Vanderbilt at 10-under 550. The top eight teams, after Friday’s round, will move on to match play.

Trevor Phillips and Davis Thompson led Georgia in the second round, as they both had a score of 2-under 68. They are followed by junior Spencer Ralston who finished at even-par 70, with freshman Trent Phillips behind him at 3-under 73. Will Kahlstorf had a non-counting score of 5-over 75. Both Ralston and Thompson are tied for 12th place at 3-under 137, four behind first place. 

Head coach Chris Haack said he doesn’t want his player to worry about placing in the top 8. They instead should play the way he knows they can, and the results will come, Haack said. 

“If we play like we’re capable of playing, we won’t have to worry about any of that.” said Haack, ”We just need to keep playing solid and take care of the ball a little better at the end.”

Georgia will be paired with Auburn and Vanderbilt on Friday’s round as it looks to make the cut into match play this weekend.