Trent Phillips Pebble Beach

Georgia's Trent Phillips during The Carmel Cup at Pebble Beach Golf Links in Pebble Beach, California, Aug. 31-Sept. 2. (Photo by John Weast)

The Georgia men’s golf team has a chance to bring home its 30th conference championship as the Bulldogs participate in the SEC championship in St. Simons Island, Georgia, at the Sea Island Golf Club.

Georgia will roll out a line up consisting of juniors Spencer Ralston and Trevor Phillips, sophomore Davis Thompson, and freshmen Trent Phillips and Will Kahlstorf. The Bulldogs will have Will Chandler available as a substitute. The SEC is now allowing the use of the substitutes for the first time this postseason.

Trent Phillips has been Georgia’s most impressive golfer this season, being named to two different watch lists for the country’s best collegiate golfer and is currently second in the SEC with an average of 69.52.

Ralston was the only Georgia player to claim individual honors this season when a posted an 11-under 205 during Georgia’s win at the Linger Longer Invitational earlier this year. He currently stands third in SEC scoring with an average of 70.00.

The team as a whole is ranked No. 16, according to Golfstat. Georgia heads into the SEC tournament as the No. 5 seed and faces deep competition, as the SEC currently boasts six schools in the top 25.

The Georgia men’s golf team leads all SEC programs with 29 conference championships, with their most recent one coming in 2016. 

Since being named head coach in 1996, head coach Chris Haack has led the Bulldogs to eight SEC championships and two national championships to become the golf team’s winningest coach in history.

Although this year’s SEC field is extremely talented, Haack is excited about the chance to be playing in such a difficult field and embraces the challenge.

“I think this tournament is as wide open as I've ever seen it, so anything can happen," Haack said. “Our league is really tough, top to bottom, and I don't know that there's a clear-cut favorite. I think it's going to be an exciting championship. It's anybody's ballgame.”

Georgia kicks off tournament play Wednesday morning when its paired with Alabama and South Carolina. The championship will be played on Sunday morning to conclude the SEC championship tournament.