Spencer Ralston

Georgia's Spencer Ralston during The Carmel Cup at Pebble Beach Golf Links in Pebble Beach, Calif., Aug. 31-Sept. 2. (Photo by John Weast)

The Georgia men’s golf team continues to lead the NCAA Athens Regional after posting a second round score of 280 for a 4-under par on Tuesday. The score puts Georgia one shot ahead of second place Duke University heading into the final round.

The Bulldogs were once again led by the consistent play of junior Spencer Ralston and sophomore Davis Thompson, who both posted scores of 69 for two-under par. Ralston and Thompson managed to bounce back after early round bogeys. Thompson had five birdies for the round.

Georgia also received a significant scoring contribution from freshman Will Kahlstorf, whose score improved by five shots from Monday’s round. Kahlstorf shot a two-under 69 on the day with four birdies for the round.

“We had pretty much perfect scoring conditions today,” Kahlstorf said. “I felt really good out there. I got it going early with a few putts, and had some good momentum going into the rest of the round.”

Kahlstorf’s scoring contribution proved to be crucial for the Bulldogs as their lead has been reduced to only one shot, compared to yesterday’s two shot lead.

“I worked on my putting a little bit more before the round today and there was pretty much no wind today so that made all the difference in terms of how far I hit my shots,” Kahlstorf said. “We’re all just ready to go home, rest up, and get ready for tomorrow.”

Head coach Chris Haack was happy with how his team played but continues to stay focused on Wednesday's round.

“We still have another round so we can’t be celebrating yet, we just have to play steady for another day and then we can start worrying about the future,” Haack said.

The final round of the NCAA Athens Regional will begin at 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday. After the final round, the five teams with the lowest scores will advance to the NCAA championships.