190214_jca_tennis_17.jpg

Emil Reinberg, a senior from Atlanta, Georgia, and Walker Duncan, a senior from Atlanta, Georgia, pause during a match against Presbyterian College players on Feb. 14, 2019 at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Georgia. The Bulldogs defeated the Blue Hose 7-0. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

The Georgia men’s tennis team fell short in the second round of the NCAA tournament on Saturday, falling to North Carolina by a 4-1 score in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

The 18th-ranked Bulldogs, who were competing in their 36th-straight NCAA tournament, defeated Elon 4-0 in the opening round of the tournament, but were unable to get past a North Carolina team that ranks tenth in the nation.

“Our guys really played their hearts out today,” Georgia head coach Manuel Diaz said. “North Carolina played an outstanding match and all credit goes to them.”

Georgia fell in doubles play, but were able to keep it close in singles play after Georgia’s Blake Croyder defeated Simon Soendergaard for his eighth-straight victory this season.

UNC clinched the match after Georgia’s Philip Henning and Walker Duncan fell to Brian Cernoch and Blaine Boyden, respectively. The Tar Heels improved to 20-6 with the win and advanced to the third round of the tournament.

Georgia ended its season with a 14-11 record. Diaz was proud of the effort his team gave throughout the season.

“We had to overcome a lot all season," Diaz said. “I want to thank our seniors for setting a great example for these young guys.”

Walker Duncan, Emil Reinberg and Jan Zielinski were all seniors who concluded their college careers with Georgia on Saturday.