Darius Carbin

Georgia's Darius Carbin in the high jump at the Spec Towns Invitational.

After taking the 2018 title, the Georgia men's track and field returned to the infield ceremony to take fourth. Georgia scored its second best total in school history with 32.5 points.

“This was a tremendous day for our men and I am really proud of these guys,” head coach Petros Kyprianou said. “We came in ranked No. 13 and we finished fourth with a trophy.”

The Bulldog high jumpers continued their dominance with both senior Keenon Laine and Junior Darius Carbin adding to the scoring total. Carbin equaled his career best at 7 feet, 3 inches in his first NCAA Outdoor meet, adding 1.5 points. Laine cleared his season best of 7-4.25. 

Senior Denzel Comenentia added to his impressive 2019 resume, notching his third expected First Team All-American certificate of the meet. On his sixth attempt, Comenentia launched the discus a personal record of 196-9 as he locked down the Bulldog fourth-place finish.

For the women, freshman Sterling Lester added three more personal records on her impressive 2019 postseason campaign. She found herself at fourth in the heptathlon rankings after a day one that featured 3,601 points.

Lester’s personal records came in the 100m hurdles, 200m, and shot put. She also tied her career mark in the high jump at 5-5.25.

Her most impressive event was the 100m hurdles which scored her 1,090 decathlon points. She shaved her SEC time down from 13.39 to 13.23, improving her No. 6 time in school history.

“On our women’s side, Sterling (Lester) put up a massive score on day one in the heptathlon and I am looking forward to her pulling out another surprise on Saturday,” Kyprianou said. “She has put herself in position to do something big for her team.”

Lester’s final three heptathlon events will begin with the long jump Saturday at 2:30 p.m. ET. Freshman Sakari Famous will begin the individual events at 6 p.m. for Georgia.

As a freshman, Lester has taken the track by storm. Her consistent improvement will be something to watch as she continues to compete for the Bulldogs.