190405_GMA_SpecTowns0053.jpg

Georgia decathlete Johannes Erm competes in the long jump at the Spec Towns Track Invitational on Friday, April 5, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. Friday is the first of a two-day invitational meet hosted by UGA that welcomes track and field teams from all over the country. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

The Georgia men’s track and field team scored a total of 12 points to end the first day of the NCAA Outdoor Championships in Austin, Texas. The Bulldogs ended the day in fourth place, six points behind third place LSU.

All 12 of Georgia’s points were earned by senior Denzel Comenentia who placed second in shot put and fifth in hammer throw.

“Overall, today was a very solid day for the Bulldogs,” head coach Petros Kyprianou said.  “Denzel stepped up and showed yet again he is a leader for this team by scoring in two events on a hot, humid day in Texas. He has one more event in the discus and we are excited to see what he can do with no pressure on him.”

Having won the shot put event at last year’s outdoor championship, Comenentia looked to dominate the field again this year. The Amsterdam native did so with five throws over 66 feet, five inches, enough to earn him second place for the day.

The Bulldogs also saw a strong showing from sophomore decathlete Johannes Erm, who posted a personal best 4,345 points through five events. Erm is in first place of the decathlon standings and looks to extend his lead competing in the final five decathlon events on Thursday.

“Johannes has had a spectacular start to the meet," Kyprianou said. "We can’t wait to see what the rest of the week holds for him and the rest of the Bulldog competitors.”

Senior Michael Nicholls matched his personal best with a 13.61 second run in the 110m hurdle. This time left Nicholls .07 seconds short of qualifying for the 110m hurdle final.

“Michael Nicholls gave all he could and matched his personal best,” Kyprianou said. “Even though he didn’t make the final, he did as I had advised the team: equal your best this season or set a personal best and good things will usually happen here.”

The Bulldogs will continue competing on Thursday with Johannes Erm in the final five decathlon events beginning at 2 p.m.