190331_jca_tennis_14.jpg

Robert Loeb, a junior from Hilton Head, South Carolina, returns a ball during a match against Auburn University on Mar. 31, 2019 at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Georgia. Georgia defeated Auburn 4-1. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

The Georgia men’s tennis team continued its win streak on Friday against No. 11 Ole Miss, earning its third consecutive victory over a top 15 opponent. Taking down Ole Miss 4-1, the Bulldogs showed their true potential as players across the board extended win streaks for themselves.

“I’m just extremely proud of this team,” Georgia head coach Manuel Diaz said. “They just continue to fight and get better. They’re showing a whole lot of togetherness, and their work ethic is superb.”

In doubles, Georgia’s No. 26 pair of sophomores Blake Croyder and Philip Henning marked their sixth-straight win as a duo against Ole Miss’ Lukas Engelhardt and Nikola Slavic, 6-1.

Next, the No. 15 pair of Trent Bryde and freshman Tyler Zink lost to the No. 17-ranked Tim Sandkaulen and Finn Reynolds in a tiebreak. Swedish freshman Erik Grevelius and senior Robert Loeb managed to secure the win and clinch the doubles point in an 11-9 tiebreaker victory.

Georgia’s three singles wins came in quick succession, beginning with Loeb taking down Engelhardt 6-2, 6-2. No. 88 Croyder followed Loeb’s success with his eighth-straight singles win of the season over Nikola Slavic 6-4, 6-3.

Though it is only his eighth consecutive singles win this season, his total dating back to last season has now improved to 16 consecutive wins.

Trent Bryde secured the victory for Georgia as he took down his third ranked opponent in a row. With a 6-3, 6-4, victory over No. 68 Sandkaulen, Bryde now holds an impressive 8-1 record in dual singles play including six ranked wins overall.

The Bulldogs will hope to continue to build their streaks when they return to the courts against Mississippi State at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex on Sunday, March 8.