Isaiah Crowell booking mug

Isaiah Crowell booking mug

Georgia running back Isaiah Crowell was arrested Friday morning and charged with two felonies and a misdemeanor, and late Friday afternoon he was dismissed from the Georgia football team.

“We have a dedicated and committed group of men who are working hard to prepare for the coming season,” Bulldog head coach Mark Richt said in statement released. “Our total focus will be directed toward the team and this effort."

Crowell was charged by ACC Police on a felony count of weapon in a school zone, a felony count of altered ID mark and misdemeanor count of possession/carrying a concealed weapon. He was booked at 3:37 a.m. and bond was set at $7,500. He was released at 12:44 p.m. on $9,500 bond.

According to the official incident report, Crowell was arrested at a vehicle check-point on East Campus Road and Green Street at 2:20 a.m. Friday.

The arresting officer said that when he approached Crowell's vehicle, "I asked [Crowell] why he did not have his seatbelt on and he said that he had taken it off to reach for his things while approaching the check."

The officer said that he "detected the odor of marijuana coming from inside the vehicle."

The officer then asked if there was any marijuana in the vehicle.

According to the report, Crowell said no, and that they had been "at the club (Aftermath) and that is probably where the smell was from."

Crowell pulled his car, a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan, over to the bus lane and the officer asked him to step out of the car.

Crowell consented to be checked, and the officer did not locate any contraband on his person.

Crowell then consented to have his car checked.

No marijuana was found but a 9-mm Lugar handgun with altered serial numbers was found under the driver's seat.

The report said that when the gun was discovered, Crowell said "that other people drive his car" and denied knowing the gun was there.

There were four other people in the car: freshman signees Josh Harvey-Clemons, Blake Tibbs and Sheldon Dawson, and rising sophomore Quintavius Harrow.

None of the four were arrested with Crowell.

“Every vehicle that came through in both directions was checked,” Sorrow said. “He was not singled out, he just came through that checkpoint, and when the officers smelled the odor of the marijuana, that's what caused them to alert them. A consent search of the person and the other occupants of the vehicle was done.”

Crowell has had some troubles during his time at UGA. He was benched for the first quarter of the Vanderbilt game on Oct. 15 for unknown reasons, and sat out the entire game against New Mexico State on Nov. 5 while on suspension after reportedly failing a drug test.

"It's been a lot of ups and downs," he said at the time. "I'm gonna remember the mistakes I made, the good things I did. All I've got to stay in my mind is to keep working hard and be the best teammate and person I can be."

Crowell was one of three Georgia running backs — joined by teammates Carlton Thomas and Ken Malcome — made to sit out 10 percent of the 2011 competitive season when the three tested positive for marijuana use, a violation of the Athletic Association's drug policy. 

“We have certain standards in all that we do and their actions do not reflect the Georgia way,” head coach Mark Richt said in a statement at the time. “They will serve their suspensions, learn a lesson and I’m sure will be better men for it.”

During his freshman year, Crowell had 195 carries for 850 yards and five touchdowns and was named The Associated Press SEC Freshman of the Year.