191207_GMA_SECChamp_SecondHalf0253.jpg

Georgia running back James Cook (4) is tackled. The Louisiana State University Tigers defeated The Georgia Bulldogs 37-10 in the SEC Championship game on Dec. 7, 2019, in Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, https://gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

Georgia football’s James Cook was arrested early Saturday morning on a misdemeanor open container violation and driving without a valid license, according to the Athens-Clarke County booking report.

At 12:44 a.m. Saturday morning, an Athens-Clarke County police officer took notice of a gray Dodge Charger with a dealer drive-out tag driving on East Clayton Street. Police attempted to check the tag but became suspicious when the car seemed to “evade” the officer by changing lanes, according to the report.

The officer initiated a traffic stop, and Cook immediately exited the vehicle with a Georgia offensive lineman who was not placed under arrest. The officer instructed the two Georgia football players to return to the vehicle. Cook then told the officer he did not have his license on his person and that he was a football player at Georgia.

The officer smelled a “strong odor of burnt marijuana,” and Cook informed the officer that there was no marijuana in the car because he had smoked it, according to the report. 

The officer noticed marijuana scraps in the center console but found no other marijuana in the vehicle. After the officer began to search Cook, the offensive lineman and the vehicle, the offensive lineman notified the officer that he had a Glock Model 19 pistol in the glove compartment.

During the search, the officer also found an unsealed 1.75 liter bottle of Hennessy Cognac behind the driver’s seat, and the offensive lineman said that was his. After a license check, it was determined that Cook’s Florida driver’s license was invalid, and Cook was placed under arrest. 

Cook, a sophomore running back from Miami, Florida, was booked at 1:46 a.m. Saturday morning and released at 2:57 a.m. after posting bond. The total bail bond amount was $2,000, according to the report. 

Cook played in all 13 games in 2019, totaling 176 yards on 28 carries and two touchdowns. He also accumulated 132 yards on 16 receptions. 

Cook was the second-leading rusher behind Brian Herrien in Georgia’s 37-10 SEC championship game loss to LSU on Dec. 7, accumulating 23 yards on five carries.