Petros Kyprianou

Georgia head coach Petros Kyprianou cheers on Kendell Williams in the high jump at the Spec Towns Invitational.

Georgia’s freshman sprinter Elija Godwin has been given the SEC Men’s Freshman of the week, the conference announced Thursday. Godwin is coming off a strong performance at the Yellow Jacket Invitational where he claimed a victory.

A native of Covington, Georgia, and a graduate of Newton High School, Godwin is the first Bulldog to win an outdoor weekly award following the first collegiate outdoor meet of his career.

Godwin clocked a career-best time of 10.47 seconds into -0.4 wind to win the men’s 100-meter dash, an event featuring 33 competitors. The finish is good for the 13th-best time nationally.

With the finish, he also qualifies as the fourth-ranked freshman nationally in the event and the No. 3 SEC performer in 2019.

Following the 100-meter win, Godwin returned to the track to win the 200-meter with a time of 20.90, which is his fastest time of 2019 and the second best of his career. He moves to third nationally in that event, as the country’s top freshman and second-best competitor from the SEC.

The Bulldogs will train through the coming weekend before the team splits up the squad for the Florida Relays (March 28-30) and Raleigh Relays (March 29-30) next weekend.