151109_UGASoccer

UGA soccer player Sydney Shultis takes the ball downfield during an NCAA soccer game against Mississippi State on Friday, Oct. 9, 2015, at the Turner Soccer Complex, in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Jacob Egan)

With the number of injuries that the Georgia women’s soccer team contained heading into the spring season, it became relevant that wins weren’t the utmost concern for the Bulldogs.

Kennesaw State marked the conclusion of the Bulldogs’ spring season at home at the Turner Soccer Complex on Saturday as Georgia lost 1-0.

It was the second spring campaign under head coach Billy Lesesne, whose aim was to develop on various aspects of the game, including those players on the roster who may not have received much playing time during the previous fall season.

The spring season possessed six games and was highlighted by a 3-1 win against UNC-Wilmington and a close 2-1 upset over Virginia Tech, in which both teams made the second round of the 2015 NCAA tournament.

“I think that we got to know each other on and off the field, which is what you are trying to do,” Lesesne said. “We did have a pretty high number of players that were injured coming into the spring and we knew that they wouldn’t be able to play and we lost a couple along the way.”

Lesesne’s areas of concerns were the amount of intensity on defense and the chemistry on offense, which he said he saw improvements throughout the spring.

“We didn’t do as much work on set pieces, we will work on those in the fall,” Lesesne said. “What was most important was how we bonded with each other in those transitional moments. How we transition on offense and when the ball is lost, how we transition defensively as a unit. We have grown in those areas and hopefully continue to grow.”

The Bulldogs has the opportunity after their match against South Carolina to travel to Montara Farms for a team-bonding trip. The destination is located in the North Georgia mountains, and allowed the team to become closer off the field to translate to its effectiveness on the field.

Returning for Georgia for the 2016 regular season is a total of 13 players who started a number of matches last year, including leading goal-scorer Marion Crowder at the head of the Bulldogs’ attack. In addition, 2015 All-SEC performers Sydney Shultis and Caroline Waters strengthen Georgia’s efforts in the midfield and backline.

“It’s going to be exciting,” Lesesne said. “There were a lot of positive moments. There is a sense of family that’s starting to build. It will be important that we continue to build on those relationships. We are looking forward to getting better as a team and are very excited to see where we are in the fall.”