180902_mkd_soccer_0456.jpg

Head Coach Billy Lesesne talks to the team after the soccer match against Virginia Tech on  September 2, 2018, at Turner Soccer Complex in Athens, Georgia. The soccer match ended in a 0-0 draw after two overtime periods. (Photo/Miranda Daniel)

Georgia soccer will begin its compressed, conference-only regular season in 10 days, according to the finalized schedules announced by the SEC Wednesday.

Starting Sept. 20, the Bulldogs will face eight SEC opponents  four at home and four on the road  for their 2020 regular season, which will end Nov. 6. Every SEC team will participate in the conference’s tournament at the conclusion of the regular season in Orange Beach, Alabama, from Nov. 13-22. The tournament will be double elimination, which ensures at least two postseason games per team.

The Bulldogs will not compete for a national title this fall, as the NCAA canceled all non-football Division I fall championships due to COVID-19.

“Our team appreciates this opportunity and looks forward to the competitive challenges and high level of play that this all-SEC schedule provides,” sixth-year head coach Billy Lesesne said.  

Georgia soccer has gained eight new players and lost four since the conclusion of the 2019 season. Lesesne added seven freshmen and one sophomore transfer, Ali Kalayjian from Florida State, to his 2020 roster after losing two seniors and two underclassmen.

Junior striker Reagan Glisson accounts for one of the program’s departures, having transferred to Oklahoma for her final year of eligibility. Glisson recorded the second most goals in 2019 behind freshman breakout striker Chloe Chapman, who will be returning to the pitch in 2020 for Georgia. 

Of the fresh faces, six will contribute to the attack as forwards and midfielders, including freshmen Madison Haugen and Megan O’Neal who were named to the High School All-America team at the conclusion of their high school careers. 

Georgia finished 8-7-4 overall and 4-3-3 in conference play in 2019 and ended on a regular season high note after beating Florida in a last-minute win before being eliminated from the SEC tournament in the quarterfinals by South Carolina.