180407_emh_softballvsmissouri_0014.JPG

Alysen Febrey (9) hits the ball in a softball game against Missouri at Jack Tuner Softball Stadium in Athens, Georgia on Saturday, April 7, 2018. (Photo/ Emily Haney, emilyhaney.com)

Early runs and stout defense ensured an 8-0 run-rule victory for the No. 14-ranked Georgia Bulldogs over the No. 15-ranked Ole Miss Rebels. The win completed the first SEC series sweep of the season for Georgia and many thought it was a good conclusion to the regular season.

“It’s definitely satisfying,” Georgia's Alysen Febrey said. “With softball being hot at the end is really what’s important going into the postseason, so it’s really good that we got that this weekend.”

After a three-run seventh inning in game one, the Bulldogs continued as the aggressor in the first inning of game two and jumped out to a 4-0 lead. Lacey Fincher and Justice Milz drove in the first two, but Savana Sikes’ double down the right-field line gave the Bulldogs the extra insurance runs.

The Bulldogs continued their productive start in the second inning when Febrey hit a three-run home run that crept over the wall in left field. Another run came in from a Milz hit and brought the lead to 8-0. The Georgia offense looked as dangerous as it has all season, and Febrey and head coach Lu Harris-Champer were really happy with the play and hoped to see more of the same in the postseason.

“Hitting is all about confidence,” Febrey said. “So if we have that in each other, we’re gonna be unstoppable.”

Febrey played a crucial part in finishing the sweep over Ole Miss, and has been on fire at the plate over the last couple of weeks. Over the past ten games, the junior right fielder is batting .464 at the plate with 11 RBIs and three home runs. Febrey believed her change of mindset at the plate and coming up with a strategy has helped in her impressive end to the regular season.

Alley Cutting started in the circle for the Bulldogs and earned her 10th win of the season. The redshirt junior went the full five innings, maintaining a shutout while striking out two and only giving up three hits. Harris-Champer attributed Cutting’s great play to the spin she is able to create and thinks she has a bright future ahead of her.