20190223_dr_UGAvUMassSoftball0028.jpg

Mahlena O’Neal (11) looks for signs from the head coach before approaching the plate. The University of Georgia Bulldogs take on the University of Massachusetts Minutewomen on Feb. 23, 2019 as part of the Georgia Classic at the Jack Turner Stadium in Athens, Georgia. The Bulldogs defeat the Minutewomen 4-0. (Photo/Daniela Rico)

After suspending the game in the first inning due to weather on Saturday, the Georgia softball team defeated Ole Miss in a walk-off win, 6-5, on Sunday.

The game, the second of the three-game series and first of Sunday’s doubleheader, clinched the series for Georgia as it ended with a second straight walk off.

Going into the bottom of the seventh down 5-3, a hectic inning gave Georgia's Savana Sikes an opportunity to win the game.

To start the inning, Ciara Bryan flew out and Alyssa DiCarlo was walked immediately after. Alysen Febrey then singled up the middle. Lacey Fincher popped up just outside the infield. The second baseman lost the ball in the sun, and the ball dropped to the turf to load the bases.

The Ole Miss coaching staff argued for an infield fly, but the umpires stood with their original call.

With the bases loaded, Mahlena O’Neal, who finished 3-for-4 with three RBIs, stepped up and singled up the middle to bring DiCarlo and Febrey home, making the game 5-5. Then, Sikes’s hit to left field brought Fincher home to win the game, 6-5, and clinch the series.

The game started slow offensively for both teams.

The game started in the bottom of the first with two outs and a 2-2 count. Fincher then struck out swinging on the first pitch of the day to end the first inning.

Neither side came out of the second inning with any meaningful developments. Ole Miss earned one hit, and Georgia left O’Neal stranded on third with a groundout from Tyler Armistead.

Saturday’s scoring began in the third inning.

After Bryan popped up for the first out, DiCarlo was walked, and Febrey singled to center moving DiCarlo to third.  

O’Neal singled up the middle after Fincher walked to bring DiCarlo home and keeps the bases loaded. Justice Milz dropped a hit into shallow center to bring Febrey home, and Fincher scored on a throwing error, making the game 3-1.

Another scoreless inning in the fourth was highlighted by a diving catch in left field from Tate Whitley of Ole Miss, and Bryan was doubled up after shew tried to retreat back to first base.

After a scoreless fifth inning, Ole Miss scored four in the sixth.

Two straight outs started the inning, but Amanda Roth reached first on an error from Sikes at third base. Immediately after, Whitley reached first on an error from DiCarlo.

Georgia then turned to Lauren Mathis in the circle. Mikayla Allee was immediately walked to load the bases, and Kylan Becker singled up the middle to bring in two runs for Ole Miss, tying the game 3-3. Abbey Latham then doubled to center to bring in two more runs and Ole Miss had a 5-3 lead.

After failing to score in the sixth and conceding no runs in the top of the seventh, Georgia scored the final three runs that would end the game in the seventh.