20190223_dr_UGAvUMassSoftball0016.jpg

Pinch hitter, Tyler Armistead (22), hits the ball into centerfield for a leadoff single. The University of Georgia Bulldogs take on the University of Massachusetts Minutewomen on Feb. 23, 2019 as part of the Georgia Classic at the Jack Turner Stadium in Athens, Georgia. The Bulldogs defeat the Minutewomen 4-0. (Photo/Daniela Rico)

Although the Georgia softball team showed some fight in fifth inning, errors costed the Bulldogs as the No. 5-ranked Alabama Crimson Tide (42-4, 11-4) completed the series sweep on Monday with a 4-3 win.

It’s the second sweep Georgia has suffered in the SEC, with the first coming at home against the LSU Tigers.

Senior Kyle Bass (7-3) pitched a complete game for the Bulldogs, striking out five and allowing four hits and four unearned runs.

On offense, the Bulldogs totaled four hits and were led by sophomore Tyler Armistead, who hit her first career home run to tie the game in the fifth inning.

The Crimson Tide were able to jump out to a 3-0 lead in the first three innings due to some critical errors from the Bulldogs and a sac fly from Claire Jenkins.

Despite the early-game issues, the Bulldogs got some good news from the outside world mid-contest. During the fourth inning, it was announced that Alyssa DiCarlo was selected by the Chicago Bandits as the No. 4 overall pick in the National Pro Fastpitch Draft.

“This is a testament to what a prolific hitter Alyssa is,” head coach Lu Harris-Champer said earlier on Monday. “She’s an outstanding player not only on the field but off the field as well. She’s the kind of person who works day in and day out for her team and is selfless and wants to be there for her team.”

Back in the game, the Bulldogs made their comeback in the fifth inning. Two runs came from the Armistead home run and one came from a Savana Sikes double down the left field line, scoring Alysen Febrey.

The Bulldogs were unable to put any more runs up and in the seventh inning, Alabama took the win. The fifth error of the day came early in the inning and allowed Elissa Brown to third base. Kaylee Tow hit a single to left field and scored Brown, completing the series sweep for Alabama.

Now, the Bulldogs (30-14, 5-10) return to Athens for five straight games at Jack Turner Stadium and a chance to get back in the win column against Georgia Tech on Wednesday at 7 p.m.