190424_GMA_SoftballVsGeorgiaState0027.jpg

Georgia pitcher Lauren Mathis (00) throws a pitch during a game against Georgia State on Wednesday, April 24, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. The Bulldogs defeated the Panthers with a score of 5-1. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

The No. 15-ranked Georgia Bulldogs fell in an extra-inning battle against South Carolina 3-2 on Friday night at Carolina Softball Stadium in Columbia, South Carolina.

The 11-inning affair was the longest game since April 27, 2012, for the program when the Bulldogs played a school-record 15 innings against LSU.

Sophomore Lauren Mathis pitched a complete game in the circle for Georgia, pitching a career-high 10 ⅓ innings and throwing 138 pitches in an eight-strikeout effort. Despite a valiant defensive effort, the Bulldog offense was unable to muster enough runs to win the game, scattering six hits across the night.

After giving up a two-run home run in the first to South Carolina’s Alyssa Kumiyama, Mathis recovered to pitch nine consecutive scoreless innings before surrendering the winning run on a solo shot to Kumiyama in the bottom of the 11th.

The Bulldogs struggled to find their rhythm at the plate for much of the evening, scoring just one run until Mahlena O’Neal’s sixth inning double forced extra innings.

Georgia fell to 34-16 on the year and 7-12 in conference play after losing its second extra innings game of 2019, while the Gamecocks now sit at 35-12 and 8-10 in the SEC.

The series will resume Saturday at noon, with the second game of the weekend slate being televised nationally on ESPN2.