190417_jca_softball_24.jpg

Infielder Lacey Fincher (44) waits on thrid base during a game against Georgia Tech at the Jack Turner Softball Complex on Apr. 17, 2019 in Athens, Georgia. Georgia defeated Tech 7-0. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

The 15th-ranked Georgia softball team won its series against No. 14 South Carolina Sunday evening with a 3-2 victory.

The Bulldogs outhit South Carolina 5-4. Two of Georgia’s hits came from junior Justice Milz, both of which were doubles. She finished the game 2-for-3.

Ciara Bryan, Alyssa DiCarlo and Alysen Febrey recorded Georgia’s three remaining hits. Freshman Lacey Fincher earned two RBIs off of two sacrifice flies, and the later of the two drove in the game-winning run.

Kylie Bass was Georgia's starter and she allowed four hits and two runs through six innings. She also gave up one walk and tallied two strikeouts.

South Carolina’s starting pitcher, Cayla Drotar, also gave up four hits and two runs through six. She gave up one walk and earned five strikeouts to Bass’ two.

The game was scoreless until the third inning when Bryan scored off a South Carolina error. Fincher then flew out to right for her first sacrifice of the night, allowing DiCarlo to score and giving Georgia a 2-0 lead.

South Carolina remained without a run until the fifth inning when Lauren Stewart hit a solo home run and cut Georgia’s lead to 2-1. Kennedy Clark then delivered an RBI triple for South Carolina to tie the game.

In its last at-bat, Georgia pushed across one more run, making the score 3-2 off of Fincher's second sacrifice fly. South Carolina was unable to repsond in the bottom of the seventh and the Bulldogs claimed the game and the series.

The Bulldogs will close their regular season next weekend with a three-game home series against No. 17 Ole Miss.