190417_jca_softball_01.jpg

Head coach Lu Harris-Champer speaks to players at a game against Georgia Tech at the Jack Turner Softball Complex on Apr. 17, 2019 in Athens, Georgia. Georgia defeated Tech 7-0. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

The 16th-ranked Georgia Bulldogs came away with a midweek victory against in-state rival Georgia Tech by a score of 7-0 at Jack Turner Stadium in Athens on Wednesday. Georgia has won 12 consecutive contests against the Yellow Jackets, and swept this season's series.

The victory also represented head coach Lu Harris-Champer’s 1,100th career victory in her 23rd season. Georgia now sits at 31-14 on the year, and Harris-Champer is 891-335 during her time with the program.

Junior Mary Wilson Avant had a solid night in the circle with a complete game shutout effort. She allowed just one hit on the night and struck out five Yellow Jackets in a dominant performance to improve to 9-4 on the year.

Georgia’s offense took control in the bottom of the fourth and never looked back, scoring six of the game’s seven runs. Junior Ciara Bryan starred on offense, going 3-4 with her first career grand slam and two singles in a spectacular effort.

With equally good efforts on both offense and defense, Harris-Champer was proud of her team’s efforts.

“Obviously, Ciara, taking the pressure off, getting in there and hitting that ball, just really doing what we worked on in pregame and to let it happen in the game, I was really proud of her,” Harris-Champer said. “The offense as a whole had a really good game, but I thought Mary was just lights out. She was so good in the circle and then the defense, especially the outfield was outstanding as well.”

Georgia will face No. 8 Tennessee in a three-game set this weekend in Athens, with the opening game on Friday at 6 p.m. at Jack Turner Stadium.