190112_jca_swimming_30.jpg

University of Georgia associate head coach Harvey Humphries coaches a swimmer during a dual meet against the University of Texas Austin at the Gabrielsen Natatorium on Jan. 12, 2019 in Athens, Georgia. Humphries is the senior associate coach and has been involved in the program for 44 years. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

Harvey Humphries, who has been with the Georgia swimming and diving program for parts of five decades, announced this week that he will be retiring from collegiate coaching at the end of July.

“I have always told our student-athletes, ‘Look at the big picture. It’s never about one person,’” Humphries said. “I am flooded with emotions right now, but when I look at the big picture, I’m not sad. I am proud of everything that we have accomplished as a program. And while this is hard to do, I’m confident it is the right time for me to step aside. It gives the program room to grow. We have a great coaching staff, and I know that things are only going to get better and better. I’m excited about what the future holds for all of us.”

Humphries was a swimmer for Georgia during the 1975-76 through 1978-79 seasons, worked as a graduate assistant coach in 1979-80 and 1981-82, and then became a full-time assistant at the start of the 1982-83 campaign. He has been serving as Georgia’s Associate Head Coach since 2012. 

“The positive impact Harvey has made on our program is immeasurable,” swimming and diving head coach Jack Bauerle, said. “No amount of words can do it justice. He is an incredible human being. He is Georgia swimming. His loyalty to this school and to our program is unmatched. It has been my privilege to be on the deck with him, not just as cohorts but as great friends. We have had an amazing amount of good times together. He cares so much about the student-athletes, and that’s the greatest measure of any coach.”

With Humphries as Bauerle’s second-in-command, Georgia has claimed seven team national championships, 12 Southeastern Conference team titles, 99 individual and relay national crowns, three NCAA Woman of the Year winners and 39 NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship recipients. Georgia swimmers and divers are recognized on the collegiate, national, and international stages.

Humphries has impacted the program in many ways, perhaps none more significantly than distance events and recruiting. Under the direction of Humphries, Georgia swimmers have earned 22 NCAA and 59 SEC titles in the 500- and 1,650-yard freestyle and 400-yard individual medley.