UAB Vulcan Invite - Indoor Track and Field Meet at the Birmingham Crossplex

Georgia head track and field coach Petros Kyprianou looks on at the UAB Vulcan Invite at the Birmingham Crossplex on January 16, 2016 (Photo by Michael Wade/UGA Sports Comm)

The University of Georgia track and field program added Ryan Grinnell as an assistant coach and Melissa Beasley as the director of operations on Wednesday, July 3.

Grinnell, who competed under Kyprianou at Boise State University from 2007 to 2008 and trained at Georgia from 2010 to 2012, joins the Bulldogs after serving as an assistant coach at Washington State for nearly three years.

“I am ecstatic to welcome Ryan to our family,” head coach Petros Kyprianou said. “He has been a big part of my professional life as I coached him both in college and professionally. Ryan is an extension of my coaching philosophy with strong values, character, loyalty, work ethic and knowledge of our coaching system here at Georgia. It is always easier when you have someone who has been through your system, can handle high-pressure situations and knows how to deal with elite NCAA and post-collegiate level athletes.”

Grinnell, a native of Idaho Falls, Idaho, finished his bachelor’s degree from Boise State in 2009 and quickly re-joined Kyprianou, who had been hired as a Georgia assistant before the 2009 season, to train professionally in the jumps. Sporting a personal record of 56 feet, 6 inches in the triple jump, which ranked in the world’s top ten in 2013, the six-time NCAA First Team All-American in the triple, long and high jump was the bronze medalist in the triple jump at the 2013 USA Track and Field Championships. Grinnell earned spots as a finalist at both the 2008 and 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials.

Professionally, Grinnell got his coaching start at Campbell University in 2012 and was an assistant working with the jumps, throws and combined events for two years. From there, he guided the sprinters, jumpers, vaulters and combined event student-athletes at Utah State University from 2014-16. Grinnell spent the last three seasons coaching Washington State’s horizontal jumpers, hurdlers and combined event competitors.

Beasley joins the Bulldogs following three years as the University of Alabama track and field’s director of operations. The Xavier University graduate also spent 12 years with USATF, providing support for Team USA at three Olympic Games and multiple World Championships.

Alabama was named the 2017-2018 U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association John McDonnell Program of the Year thanks to having the nation’s best combined finish in men’s cross country, indoor and outdoor track and field.  The Tide also won the Southeastern Conference men’s indoor title in 2018 during Beasley’s time in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

“We are thrilled to welcome Melissa to the UGA track and field family,” said Kyprianou.  “Melissa brings a plethora of experience, knowledge and expertise from two track powerhouses in Alabama and our governing body of USATF. To be able to understand and deliver in our sport between the collegiate level all the way to dealing with Olympic medalists on a daily basis is something our program is looking for. I strongly believe that her personality and expertise in all worlds of track and field, and like Ryan, her work ethic and character, will come in very handy at UGA as she will be dealing with high-level student-athletes and coaches who demand excellence.”